"It's an honor to work with you in your own story of strengthening your relationship with food and with your body."
Paula strives to nourish the body, mind, and spirit through compassionate support of our relationships with food and the body. With personal experience in disordered eating and recovery, Paula cares about your story and your recovery, and enjoys planning with you for the details of everyday meal plans and schedules, of grocery shopping, cooking, and eating out, as well as working through the framework of supported meals with parents, family members, and friends.
Paula seeks to teach nutrition physiology as it relates to supporting and healing our brains, maintaining stable blood glucose, and supporting and healing undernourished or malnourished bodies and brains with all nutrients. She does not use a one-way-fits-all approach in the development of meal plans, but seeks to individualize each client's meal plan to his/her needs and recovery process. She considers individual histories as they relate to food sensitivities and gut dysfunction, and the power of food to assist healing from anxiety and depression alongside disordered eating.
Eating Disorders * Disordered Eating * Pediatric, Family, Sport and Functional Nutrition * Cardiovascular Health * Food Allergies/Sensitivities
- Males and females with disordered eating-- restricting, purging behaviors, binge eating
- Family members/Friends of those with disordered eating
- Individuals suffering from cycles of dieting
- Individuals of every size who desire to learn how to eat and to listen to their bodies (Intuitive Eating)
- Individuals seeking to increase their nutrition by developing new rhythms of eating for health and enjoyment
- Parents seeking to develop good nutrition and food enjoyment in the home
- Individuals who desire to utilize Functional Medicine in their healing and recovery
MY TREATMENT APPROACH
I use a physiological model of establishing a personalized meal plan based upon necessary and good-tasting nutrients provided in meals and snacks with appropriate weekly recovery challenges, supported eating as possible within social systems available, and grace for the ups and downs of real life that is taking place alongside recovery. She enjoys the application of Functional Medicine as it relates to healing the body in recovery, particularly as it relates to the gut-brain axis.
EDUCATION & ASSOCIATIONS
- Texas Christian University, BS in Nutrition
- Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian- International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist--Commission on Dietetic Registration; Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Licensed Dietitian--State of Kansas
- International Federation of Eating Disorder Dietitians
- National Eating Disorder Association
- Kansas City Eating Disorder Dietitians
ACCEPTED INSURANCE PLANS
Tuesday and Thursday evenings
By: Amanda Ziegler, LSCSW (written April 19th) Last Thursday was just one of those days. We had so many cold days,…
Day Hour Minute Second The Eating Disorder Treatment Team at Renew Counseling Center invites you to join us for the…
What was your life like before you started the Anxiety Intensive Outpatient Program at Renew? Before Renew, I had considered…
As September draws near I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a part of 100 lives who have…
Anxiety disorders are a serious mental illness effecting more than 40 million Americans (18% of the adult population).  Everyone…
Our Anxiety Intensive Outpatient Program is like bootcamp. For approximately 6 weeks you can attend our program Mondays, Tuesdays and…
Everyone has anxiety. It is effective in protecting us from danger. If you are walking and see a rattle snake…
As my 6-year-old daughter and I watched a performance of Pocahontas yesterday, she kept asking me why there was so…
Did you know that 18% of the U.S. population struggles with anxiety disorders? Anxiety disorders are the most common mental…
Is your chest tight often? Do you have a tingling sensation in various parts of your body not explained by…